Elena's Pantry "Easy Black and White Cake" (minus the white) plus Swiss Paleo's "Cream Cheese Frosting" (minus the coconut oil) equals our chocolate birthday cake from here on out! Anyone else picturing how to write out that equation for real?
It's just so good! And the frosting can be made alone and just used as a fruit dip. Mmmmmm....
Ok so here's the recipes, which are essentially the recipes I mentioned above but with a couple changes.
Easy Crap Free Dark Chocolate Cake
- 12oz dark chocolate bars (I used 70% and 88%)
- 1 cup almond milk (Elena's recipe calls for coconut milk, I just didn't have any additional)
- 4 eggs
- 2.5 cups blanched almond flour
- 3/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup Enjoy Life chocolatechips or chunks (optional)
- Melt the dark chocolate and almond milk in a saucepan over low heat.
- Once the chocolate is completely melted, remove the saucepan from heat.
- Scramble eggs in a separate bowl then stir them into the saucepan containing the chocolate/almond milk mixture
- Stir in almond flour, salt and baking soda
- Once everything is combined add in chocolate chips/chunks if you are going for a CHOCOLATEY CHOCOLATE cake. Mmmmm
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with oil of your choice (I used coconut oil)
- Pour batter into the dish and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Time may vary; when a toothpick is coming out pretty clean, it's done.
- Cool completely before adding frosting
- Coconut cream from 1 can coconut milk (refrigerate can overnight then use the "solid" cream and save the liquid for another recipe)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 Tablespoons cashew butter (I used this, otherwise I make it)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. Blend everything together until nice and creamy
2. Enjoy as a dip with strawberries, etc OR frost the cooled cake above then set in refrigerator for an hour before eating (so the frosting can firm up a bit)
The original recipe calls for 1/2c butter or ghee and 1/2c coconut oil. I wanted this to be dairy free and wow, I don't know what it is but I no longer like the taste of coconut oil. If I taste it in something then I just can't enjoy that food. Weird.
I will get better pictures one day. This is actually the second to last piece from the whole cake. Figured I needed to get SOME kind of picture up!