This is basically her Meatza made extra heavenly.
Some people initially find breakfast hard when going paleo and giving up all that unhealthy cereal (even that expensive "healthier" stuff is no bueno!). I think you will find this a fantastic addition (or start!) to your go to paleo breakfast list.
Layered Sausage, Sweet Potato & Egg Paleo Breakfast Bake
- 1lb Breakfast Sausage
- 7 eggs (1 egg as the meat binder, the rest for the top)
- 8 slices of bacon, diced
- 1-2 (depending on the size) sweet potato or yam, diced small for fast cooking
- 1 leek (all of the white and however much of the green you want) mandolin sliced
- 3 garlic clove, minced
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 1/4c diced fresh chives
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Place your breakfast sausage and one egg in a 8x8 glass baking dish and mix with your hands until the egg is fully incorporated.
- Press down until it's nice and even. Then put in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- While the meat is cooking, cut up your bacon and cook in a medium pan until it starts to crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a plate with a paper towel to soak up excess fat. Try really hard not to eat it all. Pour the remaining excess bacon fat in the pan into a jar, leaving about 4 tablespoons in the pan.
- Add your sweet potato and cook for about 6 minutes in the bacon fat (um, paleo rules), stir frequently....don't go "checking FB for a minute" and then 15 minutes later remember you were cooking breakfast and not looking at Grumpy Cat MeMes
- Add the leek and garlic and cook another 4 minutes. While that's finishing take out your meat (if you haven't already) and pour off the excess fat.
- Double check that your sweet potato is softening. If it isn't give it a couple more minutes. If it is, add your sweet potato/onion mixture to the top of the meat.
- Throw two handfuls of spinach in the pan and cook a few minutes until wilted. Add the spinach to the sweet potato layer.
- Crack 6 eggs on top, wherever looks good to you.
- Sprinkle on whatever bacon you managed to not eat while making everything else. Did I mention you get to eat a ton of bacon when you go paleo?
- Put it back in the oven for about 10 minutes or until eggs are cooked the way you like. (Or scramble them before adding them to the top if that's how you like 'em!).
- Let cool as long as you can stand it then sprinkle on freshly diced chives
- Eat it up right nice!
This might be the best paleo recipe I have ever had. It's time to create a post about what paleo is, yes, I agree. In short, it's meat without all the yuck (antiobiotics, hormones, etc), no dairy, no grains and no artificial or processed foods. There's definitely more to it but that's the jist. When you eat paleo you eat a whole lot of whole living foods. And your body does the happy dance!